SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. The purpose of SEO is to get your web site to rank well for certain specific keywords on search engines, so that you get more traffic to the site from those search engines. We conduct SEO for clients all over the US.
SEO consists of two different activities; "on-page optimization" (basically things you do to the site itself), and "off-page optimization" (which is essentially building up links to your site coming from other sites.
Here are the top priorities in on-page optimization today:
- Conduct keyword research to find keywords with as high searches as possible, but with lower numbers of sites competing for those keywords.
- Write titles and descriptions utilizing the best keywords you have selected.
- Attach alt tags to your graphic and picture content utilizing your targeted keywords. These are tags that one can attach to picture files, and are just another valid way to put keywords onto a page.
- Use keywords in your H1, H2, and H3 tags, which are used to indicate headlines and sub-headlines.
- Ensure your site is mobile friendly, with responsive being the format that Google prefers. This will positively impact your ranking and negatively impact it if the site is not. You can test your site here.
- Your page loading speed should be low, under 4 seconds. If not this will negatively impact ranking. You can test that here.
- Ensure there is no duplicate content within the site, i.e. multiple pages with the same text.
- Put the primary keyword for a given page somewhere within the first 100 words of the main page text.
- Popup windows negatively impact rankings.
- Create a sitemap and submit it inside the Google Webmaster Tools interface.
- Having a “terms of service” and “privacy” page are considered a positive for rankings.
- Include your targeted keywords in the URL of the page, which in most cases means include the keyword in the name of the page.
- Longer text content is a positive and is shown in studies to cause pages to rank better. By longer we mean 1,500-2,000 words. This is a new one in that it used to be that SEO people recommended a minimum of 300 words per page. But research now shows that pages with 1,500-2,000 words do rank more highly. That’s not to say you are going to write 1,500 or more words for every page. But if you can write longer copy for several pages on your site, they will have a better chance of ranking more highly.
- Some experts are now saying that if you link FROM your web pages, to other high authority sites, that search engines interpret that to mean your site is more legit or authoritative. They say you should include 2-4 links per 1,000 words.
Many SEO experts today advise you on what you CAN’T do in off-page optimization. However, we feel this is non-productive because it won’t help you build up the links you still need to get good rankings and increase traffic. So we advise the following for link building today:
- Writing a press release about your business, and posting it to multiple free online PR sites, and at least one paid online PR site. The release should have links to your website within it. These online PR sites usually rank well themselves, so a link there counts for something. The paid online PR sites will usually get your release into multiple sites for newspapers and magazines. I have seen no evidence that these links are negative in any way, or that they don’t work anymore.
- Creating online business listings. You can create listings for your business on multiple business listing web sites, such as Google My Business, Yahoo Local, Bing Local, Merchant Circle, Manta, Insider Pages, Hotfrog, etc. There is a virtually unlimited supply of these sites.
- Links to your site on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter now count as links to your site.
- Contacting the owners of blogs and asking to write a guest post for their blog, with a link back to your site, is good. Then you have to write unique content for that blog only. And obviously it has to be a topic you are actually an expert in. The challenge here is that there is a saturation aspect to this activity as well, as a lot of people are trying to do this, and so blog owners are getting a lot of these requests.
- Post your articles, releases or other content to your blog or blogs.
Find Out How Our Search Engine Optimization Programs Can Benefit You
We will customize an SEO program for your website, based on your specific needs and specifics regarding your website. The first thing we will do will be an analysis of your current SEO situation, then create a program to address and improve it.
To find out more about how our powerful SEO marketing programs can help you, call us at (661) 441-2429, or please fill out the form below.